WHAT ADVOCATE MEANS…
An Advocate is someone who intercedes on behalf of another. It also carries the meaning of Helper, Comforter, and Counselor.
It is a New Testament word but the concept of an advocate is also found in the Old Testament. We find it in Scripture referring to Jesus as well as to the Holy Spirit.
It is given by Jesus in His reference to the Holy Spirit 3 times (John 14:16, John 15:26 and in John 16:7).
The Holy Spirit is our Helper, our Counselor, our Comforter… our Advocate.
It is given in direct reference to Jesus in 1 John 2:1.
“My little children, these things I write to you, so that you may not sin. And if anyone sins, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous.”
In 1 John 1:21, the context is that of a court room where someone who is guilty is standing before a judge. In this case… THE Judge. Jesus represents us to plead our cause in Heaven’s court before the Father… the Righteous Judge.
Romans 8:34 assures us that Jesus is at the right hand of the Father making intercession for us… literally pleading for us on our behalf.
Because Christ as fully justified us and is interceding (Advocating) on our behalf, no accusation against us can stand.
Not only in the Holy Spirit our Advocate who is there to help us every step of the way, but Jesus is also our Advocate and He ever lives to make intercession for us.
- The Holy Spirit advocates for us to give us what we don’t deserve.
- Jesus advocates so that we don’t get what we do deserve.
HOW ADVOCATE APPLIES TO OUR LIVES…
My heart was beating so loudly I think the lady sitting beside me could hear it. We met in the judges chambers where our fate would be sealed. The custody of my son hung in the balance and the judge’s decision could change everything.
I already had full custody but the tension had become unbearable. In an attempt to protect my son, I had to move away. His dad truly loved him, but he had become involved in sketchy activities that could put my precious boy in danger.
As we gathered around the large conference style table, I was afraid of what would happen. After all, I had broken the rules when I moved away. But I knew I had to take the risk if I was going to keep my son safe.
Unfortunately, as a single mom with limited resources and even less understanding of the law, I didn’t know there were other options.
The judge scanned the room like a lighthouse beam pivoting back and forth. Steady. Piercing. As if he was looking into our souls.
After asking a few questions, he leaned back in his chair, pushed back away from the table and uttered, “Does anyone have anything else they want to say regarding this case?”
Just then, my lawyer stood up, looked straight at the judge and began interceding for me. “She broke the rules of the custody agreement. But she did it to protect her son as any loving parent would do. While she broke the rules of the custody agreement, it doesn’t change the agreement at all. Her offense doesn’t make the agreement null and void. Therefore, the agreement is still in affect.“
Jesus steps in for us as our Advocate. Our Helper. The One who doesn’t wink at our sin but paid for them instead.
Because of the cross, Jesus can rightfully intercede for us in the judicial sense guaranteeing that the binding contract (covenant) we have with Him can not be broken regardless of what we do.
And in a relational sense, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit stand with us, beside us, intercedes for us, and helps us.
Oh what a WONDER-full Savior!! What an amazing Advocate!!
HOW WE CAN PAUSE TO WORSHIP HIM AS OUR ADVOCATE…
- Praise Him for who He is. Your Advocate. Helper. Intercessor. Pleader. The One who is there for you to help you in your biggest place of need.
- Thank Him for being your Advocate, knowing that regardless of what you do, He will allow His covenant with you to be broken.
- Repent of any disobedience to your Advocate and Helper.
- And just take a few minutes to listen to this beautiful song. Allow yourself to bask in the beauty of knowing your Advocate and worship Him for who He is.
If you can’t view this in your reader, please click this link.
HOW WE CAN FIND OUT MORE ABOUT GOD AS OUR ADVOCATE…
Discover the concept of Advocate in the Old Testament:
- Genesis 18:22-33 – Abraham interceded with God on behalf of Sodom.
- Exodus 32:11-14 – Moses interceded with God on behalf of the children of Israel
- 1 Samuel 7:8-9 – Samuel interceded with God on behalf of the children of Israel
- Job 16:19 – Job desired the heavenly Advocate to plead his case.
Discover who our Advocate is in the New Testament:
- John 14:16, 26 – The promise of the Holy Spirit as our Advocate/Helper
- John 16:7 – The promise of the Holy Spirit as our Advocate/Helper
- 1 John 2:1 – Jesus is our Advocate/Helper
SUGGESTIONS TO HELP DIVE DEEPER:
- Visit biblehub.com to find all of the passages that include the powerful name, Advocate.
- Create a “Knowing God More” Journal. Write out what you learn & how God speaks to you.
- Write each name on a 3 X 5 and meditate on them throughout the day.
- Contemplate the significance of the name or title in context.
- How does that name or title relate to you?
- How can you honor Him more as ______________?
- In what areas have you seen Him be ______________ in your life?
- How can you pray to Him by this specific name or title?
- How can you pray His specific names or titles over your husband, your children or those you know and love?
- Use a Bible Dictionary and Commentaries to help deepen your level of understanding.
What did you know about your Advocate before today? How has this helped you know Him more?
Thanks for joining me in this journey to know Him more!!! Please be sure to share any comments or questions you might have!