“…and when the Chief Shepherd appears,
you will receive the crown of glory that does not fade away.
1 Peter 5:4 (NKJV)
WHAT IT MEANS…
Jesus is our Shepherd, yes. Andong But He is a Shepherd like no other shepherd. As Chief Shepherd, He is the Lead Shepherd over all shepherds. He defines what a shepherd is and what a shepherd does by His existence.
HOW IT APPLIES TO OUR LIVES…
Something in the distance caught my eye and before I realized what I had done, I had wandered away from my family. With them, I was safe, loved, cared for. But without them I was lost, alone, and afraid. I began circling the fountain frantically in search of the ones who loved and cared for me more than anyone else in the world. My mom and dad.
What I didn’t realize is that while I was running around in circles to find them, they were searching for me.
Then suddenly, I ran straight into my daddy’s arms and he scooped me up, carried me to a bench, where he began hugging me tight and telling me how much he loved me.
Then he said,
Stephanie, when you wandered away, I started searching for you. I saw you racing around the fountain and I could tell you were afraid, but you were so frantic that you didn’t even notice that I was standing right there the whole time.
If you ever wander off again, just stand still and I’ll come after you and find you and take you back home where you belong.
Maybe you’re like me and you wonder why it seems so easy to wander away from the One we know loves us and cares for us more than anyone ever could.
The Chief Shepherd loves us, leads us, tends to our needs, and protects us from harm. He does all of that and so much more because we are His sheep.
Regardless of whether you’ve remained close by the Chief Shepherd’s side or if you’ve wandered away, He loves you the same and will leave the 99 to come after you.
Don’t keep running so hard and so fast that you run right past the One you need the most. Stop running. Stand still and let the Chief Shepherd find you.
It’s what He does because it’s who He is. The Chief Shepherd… and when He appears, you will receive the crown of glory, that does not fade away.
HOW WE CAN PAUSE TO WORSHIP HIM TODAY…
- Praise Him for who He is the Chief Shepherd. The One who cares for you like no one else can or ever will.
- Thank Him for being the Chief Shepherd and call upon Him to be the Chief Shepherd in your life – the One who will leave the 99 to go after you… the One who leads you beside still waters and restores your soul… the One who feeds you with truth and protects you from the enemy.
- Confess and repent of any disobedience to or disregard of Jesus, the Chief Shepherd.
- And just take a few minutes to listen to this beautiful song. Allow yourself to bask in the beauty of knowing the Chief Shepherd and worship Him for who He is.
If you can’t view this in your reader, please click this link.
HOW WE CAN FIND OUT MORE
Read the following article at Biblehub.com to help you understand the name Chief Shepherd more.
Read 1 Peter 5:1-5 in the various versions found on biblegateway.com and answer the following questions:
- What is it saying in context?
- What is it saying to me?
- How can I apply it to my life?
- In what ways can I pray through this passage for me, my family and friends, or for anyone else in need of the Chief Sheperd?
SUGGESTIONS TO HELP DIVE DEEPER:
- Create a “Knowing God More” Journal. Write out what you learn & how God speaks to you.
- Write each name on a 3 X 5 and meditate on them throughout the day.
- Contemplate the significance of the name or title in context.
- How does that name or title relate to you?
- How can you honor Him more as ______________?
- In what areas have you seen Him be ______________ in your life?
- How can you pray to Him by this specific name or title?
- How can you pray His specific names or titles over your husband, your children or those you know and love?
- Use a Bible Dictionary and Commentaries to help deepen your level of understanding.
What did you know about the Chief Shepherd before today? How has this helped you know Him more?
Thanks for joining me in this journey to know Him more!!! Please be sure to share any comments or questions you might have!