“Indeed I have given him as a witness to the people,
A leader and commander for the people.”
Isaiah 55:4 (NKJV)
WHAT IT MEANS…
While the root word http://sargeantstudios.net/?m=200903 command and various forms of it are found throughout the Word of God, the specific word for Roanne Commander is only found in Isaiah 55:4.
It comes from the Hebrew word is tsavah and is found almost 500 times in God’s Word as a verb. But in Isaiah 55:4, this verb tsavah is used as a title for the Living God.
It means to lead, to take charge, to appoint, to decree, to give charge, order and is prophetically used of Jesus.
Jesus is the One who leads, takes charge, appoints, decrees, gives charge, and orders.
HOW IT APPLIES TO OUR LIVES…
Life beckons us to fear and whispers insecurities into our hearts. Circumstances threaten to cloud our view and crush our resolve.
We wonder if we’ll ever get past our past – if we’ll ever be, who, in our deepest soul we know we were created to be – if we’ll learn how to live above the wind and the waves and experience the victory that is ours and the abundant life Jesus died to give us.
At least for just a little while.
There is so much of life that is out of our control. We can’t make things happen simply because we will them to be so or believe that they will be.
We don’t have the power to command the winds and the waves of our circumstances. But we know the One who does.
In Mark 4:28-41, the disciples were in the middle of a boat in the middle of the sea in the middle of a storm and feared for their lives. Their assumption was much like ours. Jesus wasn’t doing anything about the storm, so He must not care.
Jesus rises up, speaks peace to the storm and commands the winds and the waves to be still. The disciples stand stunned, look at each other and say, “What manner of man is this that even the winds and the sea obey Him?”
We do the same thing.
- A storm arises in our lives.
- The winds and waves threaten to sink us.
- Our faith begins to weaken.
- We wonder where God is – and if He’s there, does He care.
- We run to Him for help.
- He shows up and speaks peace to the storm… or maybe He speaks peace to our hearts in the midst of the storm.
- We stand amazed because we forgot that He has been there every step of the way.
If He can command the winds and the sea, you can be sure that the Commander is perfectly capable of commanding our lives.
He knows what we are going through and He knows what He is trying to accomplish in us and for us through each storm we face and circumstance that we are ing.
We can trust the Commander to be in command. It’s who He is. It’s what He does.
HOW WE CAN PAUSE TO WORSHIP HIM TODAY…
- Praise Him for who He is the Commander.
- Thank Him for being the Commander and call upon Him to be the Commander of your life.
- Confess and repent of any disobedience to or disregard of Commander.
- And just take a few minutes to listen to this beautiful song. Allow yourself to bask in the beauty of knowing the Commander and worship Him for who He is.
HOW WE CAN FIND OUT MORE
SUGGESTIONS TO HELP DIVE DEEPER:
- Create a “Knowing God More” Journal. Write out what you learn & how God speaks to you.
- Write each name on a 3 X 5 and meditate on them throughout the day.
- Contemplate the significance of the name or title in context.
- How does that name or title relate to you?
- How can you honor Him more as ______________?
- In what areas have you seen Him be ______________ in your life?
- How can you pray to Him by this specific name or title?
- How can you pray His specific names or titles over your husband, your children or those you know and love?
- Use a Bible Dictionary and Commentaries to help deepen your level of understanding.
What did you know about the Commander before today? How has this helped you know Him more?
Thanks for joining me in this journey to know Him more!!! Please be sure to share any comments or questions you might have!