WHAT ALPHA AND OMEGA MEANS…
Alpha and Omega are the first and last letters of the Greek alphabet.
- Alpha in the Greek is Α – upper case… or α – lower case
- Omega in the Greek is Ω – upper case… or ὦ – lower case
The name Alpha and Omega are found only 4 times in Scripture. Each time this name is mentioned, it is joined by one of the two following phrases…
- ...the Beginning and the Ending
- …the First and the Last
Alpha and Omega is attributed to Jesus and refers to His eternality. He is the First. He is the Last.
Because YHWH designates the name First and Last to Himself in the Old Testament, the deity of Christ is also indicated in the name Alpha and Omega.
Α Ω or Α ὦ together has been used as a Christian symbol and dates back to the Roman catacombs as an indication that early Christians knew Jesus as Alpha and Omega, as well.
We’ll look at the name First and Last soon, but for now, it’s important to know that the Alpha and Omega is Jesus. He has no beginning and He has no end.
Time is not something that can contain Him or limit Him. He defines eternity by who He is.
HOW ALPHA AND OMEGA APPLIES TO OUR LIVES…
I’m one of those kind of people who want find an answer for everything. Things should just make sense, right?
But I can’t wrap my mind around the totality of who God is. Nor can I figure out why this earth doesn’t spin out of control, why the sea doesn’t flood the earth, how a bumblebee can fly, and a host of other realities.
In our human reality, there is always a beginning and there is always an end.
Our finite minds often consider that everything has to have a beginning and an end. This side of heaven, it’s what we know to be true and experience when someone is born and when someone dies.
Even when we think about the existence of this planet, we know it had a beginning and will one day have an end.
- Genesis 1:1 tells us, “In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth.”
- John 1:1 states, “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.”
But Jesus is eternal.
He is the beginning. He is the end.
He has always existed. Before the world began… there He was. When the earth, as we know it, comes to a screeching halt, there He will be.
I learned along time ago…
- that there are somethings that we just can’t know this side of eternity.
- that the fact that God is beyond my comprehension is a good thing.
- that God is bigger than my brain, and that also is a good thing.
- that because He is the Creator…He IS the Beginning and the End… and He makes the rules.
- that He who had the power to start it all, also did so with a plan for everything…even for me.
- that I can trust the Alpha and Omega to start what He knows needs to start in my little life and to end what He knows needs to end. After all, it’s not only what He does… it’s who He is.
I don’t have to worry when I know that the Alpha and Omega is taking care of all the in-between stuff too.
- He’s how we got here.
- He’s why we exist.
- He’s going to take care of everything from beginning to end.
- He’s going to see to it that it all ends they way He wants it to.
And in Him, the Alpha and Omega, I can rest. And so can you!
HOW WE CAN PAUSE TO WORSHIP HIM AS THE ALMIGHTY…
- Praise Him for who He is. The Alpha and Omega… the One who rules and reigns over every aspect of every detail of the universe, of this planet, and of you.
- Thank Him for being your the Alpha and Omega, knowing He is gloriously magnificent and majestic in His being. Yet He created you because He wanted to have an eternal relationship with you.
- Repent of any disobedience to, or neglect or disregard of the Alpha and Omega.
- And just take a few minutes to listen to this beautiful song. Allow yourself to bask in the beauty of knowing the Alpha and Omega and worship Him for who He is.
If you can’t view this in your reader, please click this link.
HOW WE CAN FIND OUT MORE ABOUT GOD AS THE ALMIGHTY…
Look up the following 4 verses as well as the verses before and after each one. Examine them in context to discover who they are written to, who they are written about, and what those verses mean.
SUGGESTIONS TO HELP DIVE DEEPER:
- Visit blueletterbible.org to find all of the passages that include the powerful name, Alpha and Omega.
- Create a “Knowing God More” Journal. Write out what you learn & how God speaks to you.
- Write each name on a 3 X 5 and meditate on them throughout the day.
- Contemplate the significance of the name or title in context.
- How does that name or title relate to you?
- How can you honor Him more as ______________?
- In what areas have you seen Him be ______________ in your life?
- How can you pray to Him by this specific name or title?
- How can you pray His specific names or titles over your husband, your children or those you know and love?
- Use a Bible Dictionary and Commentaries to help deepen your level of understanding.
What did you know about the Alpha and Omega before today? How has this helped you know Him more?
Thanks for joining me in this journey to know Him more!!! Please be sure to share any comments or questions you might have!