WHAT IT MEANS…
In the Old Testament, Anointed comes from the Hebrew word mashach (verb form) or mashiyach – a/k/a Messiah (noun form). In the New Testament, the word for Anointed is the Greek word chrio (verb form) or Christos (noun form).
As a verb, the word Anointed means to rub something on a person or a thing. It for the purpose of setting apart, consecrating as holy and sacred, for healing, or for embalming.
Jesus, as the Anointed One is the One set apart, the Divinely designated One to fulfill God’s will and represent God’s presence and power. His coming to earth as the Messiah was prophesied in the Old Testament and His incarnation is the fulfillment of those specific prophecies. (Psalm 45:7, Isaiah 61:1-3, Luke 4:18, Hebrews 1:9))
HOW IT APPLIES TO OUR LIVES…
When the Lord first called me to teach His Word, I was petrified. My high school attempts at giving an oral report proved that standing in front of a crowd was definitely not my calling. At least then it wasn’t.
But God made the call unmistakably clear, opened the door for me to teach, and even blessed me with a co-teacher.
My voice trembled, my lips quivered, and my knees knocked every. single. time. At least for a while.
The I received a call from a friend who wanted me to speak at a women’s retreat.
What? Me?!!! Even my co-teacher questioned her request. Did they really mean to ask me?
The doubt my co-teacher expressed sent my insecurities into overdrive and I quickly considered calling to decline the invitation. I just wanted to crawl under a rock and let them call someone much more seasoned and much more qualified.
But just as clearly as God made His call on me to teach, He affirmed His call on me to never allow someone else to cause me to question His call on my life.
From that day forward, I have never doubted what He has called me to do. I may not be as polished and professional sounding as some, but God showed me that day, that He would use me to reach people other teachers may not be able reach… and He had gifted other teachers to reach women I may not be able to reach.
Since that day, I’ve embraced 1 John 2:20-27 and haven’t looked back since.
Because Jesus IS the Anointed One who is the expressed image of the power and presence of God, and because I have received Jesus as my Savior and Lord and He now resides in me, He has anointed me to fulfill His will through the giftedness He has endowed to me.
If you have been born into the family of God, He who IS the Anointed One has given you the anointing.
Don’t let anyone or anything… including your own fears and insecurities… keep you for becoming what He has anointed you to be.
P.S. JUST A THOUGHT…
Have you ever asked the Lord to give you the anointing? Perhaps it would be better if we ask the Lord to help us walk in the anointing He has already given us.
Based on 1 John 2:20-27, God has already given us the anointing through Jesus Christ. We just need to ask the Lord to help us live out the anointing in our lives.
HOW WE CAN PAUSE TO WORSHIP HIM TODAY…
- Praise Him for who He is. The Anointed. The One who knows the worst about your but loves you the most.
- Thank Him for being the Anointed One, knowing that He is the fulfillment of the promised Messiah and because He IS the Anointed, He has the power to anoint all who trust in Him. Thank Him for giving you the anointing today.
- Repent of any disobedience to or disregard of the Anointed.
- And just take a few minutes to listen to this beautiful song. Allow yourself to bask in the beauty of knowing the Anointed and worship Him for who He is.
HOW WE CAN FIND OUT MORE…
Take a few minutes click the links below to scan through the list of times the word anoint/anointed/anointing is used in Scripture to get an idea of what it means in context.
To deepen your understanding, take a few minutes to read the following article:
SUGGESTIONS TO HELP DIVE DEEPER:
- Visit bible.knowing-jesus.com to find some of the passages that include the powerful name, Anointed.
- Create a “Knowing God More” Journal. Write out what you learn & how God speaks to you.
- Write each name on a 3 X 5 and meditate on them throughout the day.
- Contemplate the significance of the name or title in context.
- How does that name or title relate to you?
- How can you honor Him more as ______________?
- In what areas have you seen Him be ______________ in your life?
- How can you pray to Him by this specific name or title?
- How can you pray His specific names or titles over your husband, your children or those you know and love?
- Use a Bible Dictionary and Commentaries to help deepen your level of understanding.
What did you know about the Anointed One before today? How has this helped you know Him more?
Thanks for joining me in this journey to know Him more!!! Please be sure to share any comments or questions you might have!