“For as he thinks in his heart, so is he.” Proverbs 23:7
Proverbs 23:7 has been a life-changing verse for this girl whose life was riddled with insecurities.
I was the girl who had a bad past and a bleak future and understand how easy it is to allow the scars on our hearts, the foolish decisions we make, the wounds of hurtful words and our own faulty perception of ourselves to wreak havoc on who we are.
But when we become a child of God, He redeems us from guilt and shame; He sets us free from the bondage of sin, satan and self; He sees us as perfect, pure and holy as He sees His Son; and He has an amazing plan for our lives.
Not in spite of what we’ve been through, but in light of what we’ve been through. Not in spite of who we are, but in light of who He has created us to be.
I share this series about pushing past your insecurities because I understand what it is like to live among the ranks of the insecure.
But, at a time when my insecurity pit was deep and my heart was heavy and I truly just wanted to hide from the world, the Lord showed me an amazingly liberating way in which certain principles in His Word seemingly link together to pave a pathway for victory over our insecurities and even depression.
So, today, my precious friends, I want to share with you 5 simples steps to help you push past your insecurities:
1. KNOW WHERE THE BATTLE BEGINS… AND ENDS ~ We are in a war for our God-given destiny. Who God created you to be and who you are may look very different because you may have never considered that there is a battle going on to prevent you from walking in the fullness of God’s plan for your life. AND…understanding that the battle begins and ends in the mind will help you know how to wage war.
Knowing where the battle is fought is important if you are going to gain ground in and take the front lines of your destiny.
2. MAKE GOD’S WORD YOUR THOUGHT FILTER ~ Hosea 4:6 tells us God’s people are destroyed because of lack of knowledge. If we don’t know what the Word of God says about who we are, then every battle will end in defeat and we will never know the victory that is ours because of the cross. God’s Word is what we are to filter our thoughts through.
It is God’s Word that identifies us as the conquerors we are. But if we don’t know what God’s Word says, we will never win the battle of the mind. Saturate your heart in the Word of God and begin filtering every thought that comes your way through His Word. Determine to believe what God’s Word says about you and refuse to entertain any thoughts that run contrary to God’s Word.
3. MAKE A WHATEVER LIST ~ Philippians 4:8 tells us how to deal with an anxious, unsettled and weary heart. Think on what is true, noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable, excellent and praiseworthy. Arm yourself with a list of these things to help you when your heart begins to sink under the weight of your insecurities.
Take your thoughts captive. That means choose your thoughts.
Every time you feel insecure, remember the battle is in the mind. FILTER YOUR THOUGHTS through what God’s Word says about and choose to think on your WHATEVER LIST. YOU determine what you will think on and the battle will come to a screeching halt when God’s Word becomes your thought filter and you begin thinking on what is good, lovely, excellent, and praiseworthy.
4. CREATE A PRAYER TARGET LIST ~ Develop of list of people who you can and should be praying for. Pray for those you know. Pray for family, friends, missionaries and nations. And every time the battle of the mind takes you to the place of stinkin’ thinkin’, begin to pray for those on your list.
In Job 42:10, the Bible says the Lord restored Job after he prayed for his friends. When he chose to think about and pray for others, and he took his mind off of himself, what he was going through, and why he didn’t feel like he measured up, God changed his circumstances and helped Job walk in his God-given identity by restoring to him double what he had lost.
5. JUST DO IT ~ Insecurities prevent us from fulfilling our God-given destinies. That means if you’ve been dealing with feelings of insecurity, you are not walking in the fulness of all God has for you…and you probably have a dream tucked deep within your heart that if you felt like you were really able to do it, that you would. But your insecurities have been putting the brakes on any attempts you might have to fulfill that thing.
TODAY, begin taking steps towards that dream.
If you have wanted to teach, ask the Lord to open that door, offer to teach children, youth or during VBS. If you have a desire to sing, take some college courses, work on becoming a nurse, apply for that management position, invite a group of friends over to get to know them better, go to that small group you’ve been afraid to go to, make that phone call, apply for that position, or begin that business.
Whatever it is that has relentlessly been on your heart, but you’ve been too afraid to do it, JUST DO IT!
You were meant for so much more than sitting on the bench and watching life go by. There is a position on the team that is specifically for you, but you have to be willing to go out there and join the team. Push past your insecurities sweet friend and become who God has created you to be.
These five simple steps are simple…but not easy. They require work, diligence, persistence and faith.
But they work. I know.
They’ve worked for me.
If you’d like more help with dealing with your insecurities and the battle of the mind, please visit my FREEBIES page and click on BECOMING YOU. It’s a free resource that includes these 5 simple steps and more to help you walk in your God-give destiny.
QUESTION: HAS THIS HELPED YOU AT ALL? WHAT INSECURITIES ARE YOU DEALING WITH THAT ARE PREVENTING YOU FROM STEPPING INTO YOUR GOD-GIVEN DESTINY? WHAT WOULD YOU DO IF YOU WEREN’T AFRAID THAT YOU’D FAIL OR THAT YOU WEREN’T GOOD ENOUGH, SMART ENOUGH, OR QUALIFIED ENOUGH?
Join Stephanie on Facebook
Join Stephanie on Twitter