“Excerpt from one of my keynotes: When God Is Silent“
“Moses took his tent and pitched it outside the camp, far from the camp, and called it the tabernacle of meeting. And it came to pass that everyone who sought the Lord went out to the tabernacle of meeting which was outside the camp.” Exodus 33:7
I remember tucking my boys in bed each night and just standing there watching them sleep. My mommy heart was crazy about them. Still is!
Did you know God loves you like crazy? Did you know you are the apple of His eye? That He knows the number of hairs on your head and the thoughts of your heart? Did you know that He yearns for you?
God longs for you and I to meet with Him, to bask in the beauty of His presence…but we get so distracted by all the things that are going on INSIDE THE CAMP that we don’t take time to leave it.
Inside the camp represents the whole of our lives…
- Our families
- Our friends
- Our homes
- Our jobs
- Our circumstances
- Our busy days filled with the clamor of chaos
- Our dishes, doctors appointments, dailies and distractions
- Our marriage, our ministries, our meandering and our mom stuff
Sometimes, we’re so busy with all the activities inside the camp that we don’t stop long enough to go outside the camp so that we can truly ENTER IN.
But it is outside the camp in the tabernacle of meeting that God meets us like a man meets with a friend…face to face and heart to heart.
It’s outside that camp… in the tabernacle of meeting that we seek God’s face for the future of our family and friends. It’s outside the camp in the tabernacle of meeting where we cling to His promises and claim His Word.
We all have lost loved ones, and family and friends who are walking through some tough times and if you and I are going to intercede for them, we must be willing to close the door on our own personal camps, remove ourselves from all that distracts us and make our way into the TABERNACLE OF MEETING where we can meet with God, not only to worship Him…not only to seek His face for His direction and His grace, but that we may STAND IN THE GAP FOR THOSE WHO CAN’T OR WON’T PRAY FOR THEMSELVES.
Today, I want to encourage you, challenge you…even beg you…won’t you step OUTSIDE the CAMP so that you can ENTER IN to the presence of God and bask in the beauty of knowing Him. Revel in your relationship with Him-enjoy meeting with Him-because it is for that relationship that Jesus died.
C.S. Lewis once said, “He Himself is the fuel our spirits were designed to burn, or the food our spirits were designed to feed on. There is no other.”
It’s outside the camp in the tabernacle of meeting that we are nourished by the Living God.
There is no other!
I realize that many of you are in some type of ministry. You are serving God with all you’ve got. But never let your ministry for God become more important than your relationship with God. Your ministry for God is to be from the overflow of your relationship with Him…not a substitute for it.
Maybe you haven’t heard from God in a while. Perhaps you’re in a season of silence and you’re wondering where God is. I’m not sure where you are or what you’re going through. But I know that if you’re in a place where you can’t seem to hear from God, there may be a multitude of reasons why.
Today, I want to leave you with you 5 reasons why you might not be hearing from God.
1. Your life may be too loud ~ It’s hard to hear from God when our lives are so loud that we can’t stop long enough to hear His still small voice say, “This is the way, walk in it.” We get so busy that we drown out the still small voice of God and then wonder where He is. You may need to make some choices to de-clutter your life and find your tabernacle of meeting where you can enter in, settle your mind and just bask in His presence.
2. Your priorities are out of whack ~ Life is crazy busy these days. It’s so easy to get ourselves busy doing GOOD things and then, later on, discover they weren’t GOD things. I’ve learned that no matter how old I get, my priorities remain the same. God. My family. My church. My ministry/calling. It’s hard to successfully fulfill your calling when you are too busy for God or for your family.
3. You need to learn to say NO ~ Women. We want to help everyone. We see a need and we think we need to step in and help. We are nurturers by nature and it’s hard to say NO to a legitimate need. But not every door is yours to walk through. Not every need is yours to fulfill. We are part of a very uniquely gifted body and we all have a part. Learn to say NO to that which is really not yours to do.
4. God has you in a season of silence ~ Sometimes, God calls us to a season of silence and we don’t always know why. Sometimes it is so He can reveal Himself in a more marvelous way. Sometimes, it is because He loves us and wants to show up in our lives in ways that will be very obviously HIM and blow us away. And at times, it’s because we have some areas in our lives that need to be realigned with the Word of God, sin we need to repent from or a lesson God wants us to learn. Sometimes God puts us in a season of silence because He is showing us what we are made of because He knows we have a skewed view of ourselves.
5. You don’t really know Him ~ Sometimes, people spend their lives never hearing from God and wonder why. They believe in God, but as I shared in an earlier post, believing in God is not enough to secure eternal life. You must be born again. Religion won’t save you. Church attendance won’t save you. Denominational affiliation won’t save you. You must be willing to repent from your sins and surrender your life to the Lord, trusting Him as the Savior of your soul. And so, some people never hear from God because they don’t really know Him.
Today, I pray you will get outside the camp and run to the tabernacle of God. He’s there. Waiting for you to show up with more than a fleeting prayer on the go as if you’re ordering something through a drive through restaurant.
QUESTION: DO YOU STRUGGLE WITH GETTING OUTSIDE YOUR CAMP? ARE YOU IN A SEASON OF SILENCE NOW?
*This post was taken from an expert from one of my talks from The MORE Conference.
If you are interested in having me come speak at your next event to share at your next event, or share a message about mentoring, how you can begin a M.O.M. Mentor Group or one of my other speaking topics, please feel free to contact me by clicking this link.
If you’d like to know more about how you can help reach out to moms by beginning a MOM Group, visit The M.O.M. Initiative at http://www.themominitiative.com/join-here/.