“‘Behold, the days are coming,’ says the Lord,
‘That I will raise to David a Branch of righteousness;
A King shall reign and prosper,
And execute judgment and righteousness in the earth.'”
WHAT IT MEANS…
In Jeremiah 33:15 and four other instances we find http://circleplastics.co.uk/design Branch as a prophetic name of Jesus. It is symbolically used as the descendent, seed, or heir of.
The New Testament word for branch is klēma which means a tender or flexible branch or shoot or vine. In John 15, branch represents those who are believers… those who are attached to the Vine.
Jesus is the seed of, the descendent of, the tender shoot the heir, that came on the scenes of His earthly existence as the Son of God and the Son of Man.
Jesus is the promised Messiah from the root of David…the Branch who makes us branches. The Heir who makes us joint-heirs.
HOW IT APPLIES TO OUR LIVES…
About twenty years ago, my husband owned a landscape company. He designed some of the most beautiful, prestigious, and low-maintenance lawns in some of the most affluent neighborhoods in Jacksonville.
He was good at what he did because he was not only artificially inclined but he know a lot about plants. Which ones grew best in various types of sunlight and soil.
Yet, all of his knowledge and ability was useless when branches broke off from the tree or the vine.
We can know the Bible from cover to cover. We may be able to apply the principles of hermeneutics and be able to thoroughly exegete a passage of Scripture. We may have a thorough grasp of Hebrew and Greek and have whole books of the Bible memorized.
But if we don’t abide in Christ… if we don’t cling to Him… we’re like broken branches. Dry. Useless. Not becoming what God created us to be.
In John 15, believers are called branches. We are made branches by the One who is THE BRANCH.
Jesus said, ” 4 Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in Me. 7 If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, you will ask what you desire, and it shall be done for you. 8 By this My Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit; so you will be My disciples.” John 15:4,7-8
Branches are supposed to be fruitful – not fruitless. If you are struggling to bear fruit in your life, it may be because you’re not abiding.
Abiding requires that we:
- Come to Christ – for salvation and for every moment of every day.
- Continue in Christ – consistently seek Christ, disciplining yourself to be still and to know that He is God. Discover how to rest in Him and rely upon Him.
- Continue in His Word – Develop and maintain an insatiable appetite for God’s Word. You can’t abide in Christ if you don’t abide in His Word. It is in His Word that you will discover His will and His ways.
- Continue in Prayer – Prayer is how we communicate with God. The reason we are able to ask what we desire and it will be done for us is because when we abide in His Christ through coming to Him, continuing in Him, His Word, and in prayer, we position our hearts in a place of surrender and His desires become ours. Our will ultimately begins to line up with His Word…which is His will.
Sweet friend, be who you were created to be. God has equipped you for it. The Branch has intentionally made us branches and the Heir has made us joint-heirs so that we could bear much fruit.
By bearing much fruit…our Father is glorified.
HOW WE CAN PAUSE TO WORSHIP HIM TODAY…
- Praise Him for who He is. The Branch… the One who makes us branches… the One who calls us and equips us to abide in Him and bear fruit.
- Thank Him for being the Branch. When we abide in Him, and His Word abides in use, we can ask what we desire and He will give it unto us.
- Confess and repent of any disobedience to the Branch. Perhaps you’ve neglected His call on your life and the privilege you have to abide in Him.
- And just take a few minutes to listen to this beautiful song. Allow yourself to bask in the beauty of knowing the Branch and worship Him for who He is.
If you can’t view this in your reader, please click this link.
HOW WE CAN FIND OUT MORE…
Read this article about The Branch to gain more insight.
Review the following passages in various translations at biblegateway.com where you will find the Branch prophetically describing Jesus.
Make a list of things you need to do or stop doing so that you might abide in the Vine as a branch that bears fruit because of what THE BRANCH has done in your life.
SUGGESTIONS TO HELP DIVE DEEPER:
- Visit blueletterbible.org to find the passages where the word branch is used and study how they are used in context. Then take note of the instances where the powerful name, Branch is used. Branch is used in reference to Jesus in the following verses: Isaiah 11:1, Jer 23:5, Jer 33:15, Zec 3:8, Zec 6:12
- Create a “Knowing God More” Journal. Write out what you learn & how God speaks to you.
- Write each name on a 3 X 5 and meditate on them throughout the day.
- Contemplate the significance of the name or title in context.
- How does that name or title relate to you?
- How can you honor Him more as ______________?
- In what areas have you seen Him be ______________ in your life?
- How can you pray to Him by this specific name or title?
- How can you pray His specific names or titles over your husband, your children or those you know and love?
- Use a Bible Dictionary and Commentaries to help deepen your level of understanding.
What did you know about the Branch before today? How has this helped you know Him more?
Thanks for joining me in this journey to know Him more!!! Please be sure to share any comments or questions you might have!